Academia The lecturers didn't hang around in jacking up the proverbial heat! My modules are fairly varied, some musical (Harmony, Knowledge of Instruments, Understanding Music) and some technical (Electronics, Audio Engineering, Acoustics, and Audio Signal Processing, the latter of which is a fancy way of saying 'maths'), and are of varying difficulty. Despite the challenge of going from nearly 18 months of dossing around to being thrown once more into full-time education (on a flipping hard course, I might add), I am really enjoying the Tonmeister scheme so far.
My two dads The Tonmeister Course has a scheme within it in which first-years are assigned 'parents', a minimum of one second year and one final year*. The idea is that these are students who can offer assistance on coursework and guidance on top of what our Personal Tutors provide, as well as giving us first dibs on assisting on their recording sessions. I myself, rather liberally, have two 'dads'. I have yet to meet either of them, but this evening I am meeting Liam (my second-year 'dad') for a drink at Wate's. Should be nice.
*since the higher years are 36-strong groups, and my year has only 25, some of us have more than two 'parents'.
Celluloid experiences Later tonight, a bunch of the Pickard guys are heading down to the ODEON (which is about 10 minutes' walk from our wing of campus) to watch the 25th Anniversary re-release of the absolute classic Back To The Future. This follows on from last night's one-off screening of Hillsong United's film documentary The I ♥ Revolution. I'd never seen it before, and it was not what I was expecting of a tour video; I sat until the end of the credits in silence.
Things to come On Friday, Jo Whiley is bringing some new music (I'm unsure whether it is in DJ form, or live acts) to Rubix. George and I bought tickets this morning. Hopefully it should be a good night.
Church I've tried three churches since I got here: St Saviour's (CofE), Millmead (Baptist) and Boiler Room (24/7 Prayer). The latter two were both in one day - that was epic. At Boiler Room I spoke to a random guy who came and sat next to me asked me ice-breaker questions (you know, name/town/course/favourite colour sort of thing). I vaguely recognised him, but what with all the new faces, thought little of it. It dawned on me during the service when someone mentioned his name that it was none other than Pete Greig, author of God On Mute. He now knows me as the guy whose favourite colour is gold. How embarrassing.
Onwards That's about all for now. Once again I've written too much. Sorry about that.
God bless
J.R. x
No comments:
Post a Comment