Sunday, 7 November 2010

Where does the time go?

That's not a rhetorical question: I'm seriously concerned that I get catapulted through a vortex immediately after posting each blog entry. Anyway, here I am again, this time accompanied by cashew nuts. Awesome.

Yet more headaches Literal ones, that is. The prescription on my glasses isn't quite right, and I have finally convinced the opticians of this, so I have a re-test-check-thing on Wednesday which should hopefully result in my being able to see the front in lectures and not have to take paracetamol on an almost-daily basis.

Burning money with colour Friday was, as I'm sure most of you know (I'm assuming most readers are this side of the Channel and the Atlantic) Guy Fawkes', and I joined my friends from Boiler Room (the church, not the venue 'Boileroom') for a walk up the High Street to Stoke Park. The walk included optional carrying of a flaming torch, which was basically a giant candle and cost a fiver. At Stoke Park there was a fairground and a big fireworks display that (I think) should have been accompanied by the 1812 Overture. It wasn't, so I sang it, much to Becca and Zoƫ's irritation. As impressive as some of the fireworks were, I'm not sure whether I like the concept of basically exploding money - let's face it, we've all seen how expensive corner-shop fireworks are; can you imagine how much professional ones cost? That aside, it was rather fun, and the free jacket potatoes and Bill Bailey DVD at Allen House afterwards made for a lovely evening out.

Lads' Weekend All the girls on Pickard 1 have been away all weekend for various reasons, and those on Pickard 2 followed suit so as to not get involved in our planned den-building in the kitchen. As it turns out, we never got as far as making the den, and the general timeline was fairly mundane. Until last night. When Ben (our newest flatmate, a third-year chemist) went out and left his bedroom door unlocked. The first I knew of it was when I went to get a drink from the kitchen and bumped into George, Ieuan, Tom, Level 2 Tom, and Nutrition Rob trying to put a bed in the disused services cupboard. It didn't fit, so we did the next best thing; moved the entire contents of his room into one of the corridors. Good times. He took it very well, considering it was gone 2am when he got home and found his bedroom empty. Here's a photo of it for you:


Academia and such My first piece of coursework for Audio Engineering is due this week. I think it should be pretty solid. There's some Harmony coursework heading my way, which I'm less confident about, but my limited knowledge of Bach Chorale and figured basslines from AS Music is coming back to me. I might be able to scrape a 2-2, you never know!

House Party The name is deceiving, but House Party is the CU weekend away. That's happening next weekend, so I apologise if I don't post anything until the week. I have the following week off though, so that should be good. Or boring. We'll see. Before then, I need to secure a sleeping bag from Sal and/or the kids, so that merits a visit to/from them this week. There's also going to be a Tonmeister trip to see Jackass on Wednesday, which will be interesting if nothing else.

That's about all I've got to say for now. Much love to you all,

~J.R.

No comments:

Post a Comment